Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 5 of recovery


7/5/14

Day 5 of recovery

Today started off terrible but now Alexa is doing fabulous!!!  Last night was terrible since they were still checking her blood sugar every hr & then she would have to get up to go to the bathroom every hr, which is about a 15 min ordeal at least with all the cords & tubes to deal with.  By the time she would start to settle down a bit we would do it all over again.  By the very early morn I decided I wouldn’t get up with her & just let the nurse handle it.  She was letting every little tiny thing bother her & didn’t seem to complain as much about them to the nurse.  I woke up each time & heard her but didn’t get up.  By the time I did get up I realized she was in quite a bit of pain which was getting worse & worse.  I asked the nurse when it was time for her next pain meds & she said she could probably have the oxycodone.  I was surprised & asked them why it wasn’t being given to her on a schedule & she said it was just ordered as needed.  I was pretty mad & told her that obviously it IS needed.  Her pain was way out of control & she could hardly stand it.  It’s so hard when things get that bad!!  Our nurse happened to be training another nurse at this time & it was really annoying Alexa since she was in so much pain.  When the nurse was in the process of getting her pain meds ready & she was explaining to the other nurse about how to do it Alexa said, “Why do you have to show her how right now, JUST HURRY!”  I don’t think the nurses heard her though, haha!  Well, by the time her pain was finally under control half the morn was gone, it was about 11:00 & we hadn’t been on a walk or anything.  Dr. C showed up about that time & I went out into the hall to talk to him & told him all about what had happened & asked him why the oxycodone wasn’t on a schedule.  He said it should have been & he would make sure it got changed & also some other meds I talked to him about.  I knew he would take care of everything cuz he told us in the beginning that if anything at all was wrong to talk to him about it.  

So after we finally got her pain under control the girl came in to wash her hair & you can see by the pics how spoiled she was!  Then she went for a long walk with PT.  After that she got settled into bed to take a nap & Ty & I went to get something to eat & when we got back she was so mad again.  Just when she had gotten to sleep they came in to do an ultrasound on her liver!  After they left she & I took a long nap though.  When I woke up we found out that they were moving us out of NICU & up to the 5th floor!!!!  Dr. C had told me that we wouldn’t be moving till Mon but I guess everything has been going so well he changed his mind!  Oh, also this morn they took her off the continuous insulin & changed her so that she would get a shot which means they don’t have to check her blood sugar as often, only every 4 hrs now, yea!!!!  That’s why we were able to move out of NICU so early!  Her blood sugar has been so great still, even after that!!!  We are so excited.  I know it sounds like a simple thing to move to another room but it really isn’t, it took all of 3 hrs!!  Ty & I missed dinner at RMH & ended up eating really late.  It’s really amazing how fast the days go by while we’re here.  We are so busy all the time & can’t believe it’s been almost a week already.  Hopefully Alexa will do so well that we won’t even have to stay in the hospital the full 3 weeks they originally said!!
 


Talk about the ultimate salon!!!







Her scar is going to look great, Dr. C says it's one of the smallest he's done!





Walking around the new floor 5! Doesn't she look thrilled? Notice how empty her IV pole is now!!!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment