Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 54 of recovery



8/23/14
Day 54 of recovery
Its crazy how quickly time is going by.  Things have not slowed down at all but we are finally starting to get caught up a bit. 
Mon morn I started making phone calls trying to line up dr appointments for Alexa.  She has to get into the Gastroenterologist (GI), Endocrinologist, Pain doc, Primary Care doc, plus the dentist to get her crowns finished on her implants that broke right before we left so she won’t look like an oaky anymore!  When I called the ortho that morn about Tyson not being able to wear his rubber bands because of his headaches they told me to bring him in that morn for an emergency visit, so we headed there at 11:00.  They told him to try wearing some lighter bands & hopefully they won’t cause his head to hurt so badly.  He is still doing the exercises the doctors in MN gave him to do & taking the muscle relaxer & I think he is doing a little better.  After the ortho Tyson & I went & did a bit of school shopping before he had to go to his Sophomore Splash party.  He is really enjoying driving around & is a pretty good driver for the most part but is too used to driving the tractor & guns it a bit too much sometimes.  I always tell the kids when they’re learning to drive that they have to picture a glass of milk sitting on the dash & have to try to stop & start as smooth as they can so they don’t spill the milk.  Once when I told Tyson that he stopped too hard & spilled the milk he “grabbed the glass of milk off the dash & drank it!!!!”   The cheeky little thing!!!  

Tues Alexa had an apt with her pain dr later that morn.  She was kind of nervous cuz he’s the one who doesn’t let me come in with her & she has no clue what all of the meds are that she is on.  I told her just to keep saying, “I don’t know” & he would be forced to talk to me so that’s what she did.  He finally called me in to be with them.  I really like him & it didn’t really bother me that he wanted it just to be them, she needs to learn to talk to people on her own anyway.  He claims there’s some law that says he can’t have anyone else in there.  I found out that he really isn’t a “pain” dr, he really is for addiction.  He said he wanted to send us to a pain ctr over in Provo & he is really good friends with him.  He went on & on about how great he is.  He says he needs to send us there cuz Alexa’s prob is more of chronic pain & not addiction.  I told him I would go home & check him on our ins & call them back for a referral.  I was supposed to go to work that afternoon but got so busy trying to get my house in order that I didn’t make it.  I have mounds of papers like bills & ins stuff surrounding my chair in the fam room & we are still digging clothes out of our suitcases!! 
  
Wed Alexa had an apt with Dr. Mizell, the GI.  He is the one I really liked before that helped us out when she was at the “evil” Primary Children’s but he was horrible this time!!  He came in & told me that he hadn’t had time to even open the emails from Dr. C & Marie Cook, Dr. C’s nurse!!  He explained that he gets thousands of emails & just doesn’t have time to look at all of them!!  As we were talking I happened to mention something about Alexa’s duodenum being removed & he was all surprised & said, “They removed her duodenum too?”  I said, “So you don’t even know what they did in the surgery?”  He apologized again & said he just hadn’t had time to read anything!!!  I left there without any confidence in him at all!!  I am now looking for a new GI doc!  If anything were to happen where we had to go to the ER the GI doc would be the one they would call in & I doubt he would have any clue at all what to do!  Besides, if Dr. C talks to him we will for sure have to go back to MN for our 3 month checkup & testing instead of having them done here!!  Also I looked online & saw the pain dr wasn’t on our plan so I called ours back & begged to stay there, they called me back & said they called our ins & found out the other one is on our plan & already got us a referral & everything so we are seeing a new pain dr now too!

Today Alexa woke up feeling extremely nauseated & sick.  She has been running a low grade fever for the past few days & her blood sugar has been a bit higher so I will email the doctors in MN tomorrow to see what they think.  I happen to be out of one of the nausea meds that I have been alternating so we’ll just have to get by.  If I had a good GI things would be better!!  This girl named Carrie that used to be in YW’s with her moved back into our ward & was at the RS dinner Thurs night with her Mom & was excited to see Alexa.  She said she would go to singles ward with her & when I told Alexa that she was really excited about it & told Carrie she would go.  She did manage to get ready at the last min & even looked really cute with makeup on!  I dropped them off on the way to my ward.  Alexa managed to make it thru Sac mtg but when I texted her during SS to see if she was ok she said her pain & nausea was too bad & she ended up walking home.  I was able to stay for the whole 3 hrs though for the 1st time in over 2 yrs!!   It’s really great to be back & have Alexa finally getting better!!  We can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment